This use case describes scenarios in which the customer’s usage history and characteristics are used to automatically improve the process of matching customers’ rates and program options to their actual needs. This matching process may include the following activities:
• The utility targets marketing campaigns to those customers who are likely to make use of the marketed programs.
• The customer selects program and rate options recommended by the utility Web site or customer service representative (CSR).
• The utility identifies customers who are likely to benefit from an energy audit.
In each of these scenarios, the usage information measured by the SmartConnect system and the customer characteristics and interactions in the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system serves as a mechanism to help ensure customers understand all the options available to them. Access to this data allows customizing the option or bundled options best suited to the customer’s specific needs and their preferred method for receiving information about program options. The scenarios presented in this use case also allow the utility to measure the success of its marketing campaigns and match processes to make future improvements.Using the SmartConnect system in this way provides the following value to the utility:
• Improves utility program results by signing up more high-value customers, thus avoiding peak MW’s.
• Improves utility program results by using metrics to provide ongoing feedback for refining program strategies.
• Reduces marketing costs by avoiding marketing to ineligible customers.
• Increases customer satisfaction by using technology to lessen the effort required to participate in programs.
• Analyzes individual customer usage to automatically recommend targeted and bundled program options so the customer can determine projected benefits and savings to be realized by changing their behaviors.
• Uses marketing dollars more efficiently by transitioning from higher mass-marketing expenses to lower response rates, thereby recruiting more high-value, eligible customers with better response rates.