The objective of this project is to "utilize a demand response command center to aggregate multiple DR resources at retail electric customer sites to supply critical services, under tariff-based and market-based programs, to the electric distribution company and to the regional transmission operator" . Project partners include Consolidated Edison of New York, Innoventive Power, Verizon, and Infotility.
Project funding and location [2, 3]:
- 3 years
- $6.8 million Federal Funds
- $6 million Industry Funds
- $1 million New York State Energy R&D Administration (NYSERDA)
Technologies involved in this project are to provide demand response capability in 30 facilities :
– 1 facility to operate in parallel with, and inject power into, the distribution network
– Use multiple engine types (diesel, combustion turbines, fuel cells – 1 CHP project to supply baseload and regulation, 3x400kW fuel cell units)
– Load reduction at 29 telecom facilities and Con Ed headquarters by changing AC set-points, rectifier voltages and variable frequency drive
– Retrofit 2 facilities, with old engines, for NOx control.
Project schedule is divided into three phases [3, 4]:
Phase 1: Gather Data & Study Feasibility - October 1, 2008 thru September 30, 2009 – Develop Interconnection Plans – Design Interoperability Approach for DR supply of ancillary services – Evaluate Fuel Cell & Wind Facility Integration
Phase 2: Design & Construct - October 1, 2009 thru June 30, 2010 – Design/Install remote monitoring/control equipment/software, interconnection equipment, wind turbine, load reduction systems, fuel cell.
Phase 3: Operate, Measure & Report - October 1, 2010 thru September 30, 2011
 EPRI, "Con Edision Smart Grid Demonstration Projects: Interoperability of Demand Response Resources", September 2009. URL: http://jdedinechin.free.fr/rapports%20étudiants%202011/fiches%20cadrage%202011/1020227%20Con%20Edison%20EPRI%20Smart%20Grid%20Project%20Overview.pdf
 Reza Ghafurian, Con Edison Smart Grid Demonstration, February 2010: URL: http://sallan.org/EventPix_slideshow_Smart-Grid/resources/R_Ghafurian-Sm...
 Steve Bossart, "Renewable and Distributed Systems Integration Demonstration Projects", EPRI Smart Grid Demonstration Advisory Meeting, October 12-14, 2009. URL: http://www.smartgrid.epri.com/doc/15%20DOE%20RDSI%20Project%20Update.pdf
 Con edison Press release, August 2009. URL: http://investor.conedison.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=61493&p=irol-newsArticle&I...