The ATK Launch Systems project takes place at a single customer site – but, it’s a large one. ATK Launch Systems in Promontory, Utah comprises over 540 buildings on a sprawling 19,900-acre site accessible by 75 miles of roads. Their power system of three main substations and 60 miles of power lines deliver about 17 MW (on-peak) to the facilities, with an annual energy bill of over $15 million. The objective of this project is to "develop and demonstrate a diverse system of renewable distributed generation technologies that are integrated into an intelligent automation system with two-way communications to the utility and that will produce an on-demand reduction of 15% of substation load." [1, 2]
Project partners include ATK Space Systems, P&G Automation and Rocky Mountain Power.
The project length is for five years with $1.6M federal funds and $2M industry funds.
The ATK Launch Systems Demonstration Project technology includes: 
1) Renewable Energy Sources, which are waste Heat Recovery Systems - 1,400kW total capacity, wind turbines (water pumping/compressed air storage) - 144 kW total capacity, pumped storage - 1040 kW total capacity for 4 hours, and compressed air storage & generation - 80 kW total capacity for 30-60 minutes.
2) Control System Components, which include load aggregation and monitoring, fault detection and diagnostics, remote monitoring and control, two-way customer-utility web interface, black start, historical trending and reports, as well as alarm and event notification
ATK Launch Systems Schedule and Status:
Phase 1: Development (Year 1; FY2009)
- Design and testing of reliable and effective DG controls
- Design and preliminary testing of Utility gateway hardware and software
- Collect/compile historical baseline data
- Provide full design, engineering, drawings, specifications and permitting of DG
- Design and installation of sufficient generation equipment to validate Phase II feasibility
Phase 2: Demonstration (Years 2-3 Installation Years 4-5 M&V; FY10 – FY13)
- DG Implementation
- Data collection
- Commercialize to other RMP customers and/or other utilities