Based in Richmond, VA, Dominion Virginia Power, started it smart grid demonstration in 2009 in Charlottesville, VA. Charlottesville is the first city in Virginia and one of the first in the nation where homes and businesses are equipped with smart meters, which is part of Dominion Virginia Power's Energy Conservation Plan . By deploying smart meters, Dominion Power is expected to make the delivery of electricity more efficient and less costly, laying the groundwork for a smart grid.
According to, "on June 16, 2009, Dominion Virginia Power executives joined Gov. Timothy M. Kaine and local officials to announce the company is launching an approximately $20 million program - SmartGrid Charlottesville - to install about 46,500 "smart meters" in the city of Charlottesville and Albemarle County. Dominion will utilize its electrical distribution, communications and information technology infrastructure to promote energy conservation and environmental responsibility, improve customer service and improve utility operations in this smart grid effort.
Pending regulatory approval where required, the highlights ultimately are expected to include:
- A demonstration project providing periodic reports that show customers how their energy usage compares with other customers.
- Tests of battery storage systems that could promote renewable electricity generation such as solar.
- A solar panel demonstration project.
- Automatic reporting of outages, allowing for quicker restoration of service.
- Increased customer convenience through remote turn on and turn off of service, and remote meter readings.
- A demonstration program for light-emitting diode (LED) street lights."
As of early 2010, Dominion Power started installation of smart meters in its Midlothian and Charlottesville service areas .
Dominion Power also initiated a Solar Energy Project as a part of its smart grid implementation in Charlottesville . The goal of this demonstration is to evaluate the environmental and financial benefits that a customer can receive from solar energy in an appropriate application.