Midwest Energy (Midwest) is deploying new smart relays at its Knoll transmission substation. These relays include synchrophasor measurement technologies that can increase grid operators’ visibility of bulk power system conditions in near real time, enable earlier detection of problems that threaten grid stability or cause outages, and facilitate sharing of information with neighboring control areas. Having access to better system operating information allows Midwest to improve power system models and analysis tools, increasing reliability of grid operations.
- 9 Relay-based Phasor Measurement Units
- Synchrophasor Communications Network
- Reduced Wide-scale Blackouts
- Increased Electric Service Reliability
- Reduced Truck Fleet Fuel Usage
- Reduced Greenhouse Gas and Criteria Pollutant Emissions