One of the weaknesses in marshalling a coordinated approach to modernizing the electric grid has been the lack of a clear understanding of the electric system’s driving forces and levers for change. With the systems view of the modern grid, the NETL Modern Grid Initiative (MGI) team has provided the framework for moving forward. The primary elements of the modern grid’s systems view are described in the five major sections of this document:
• Key Success Factors – The broad goals of the modern grid.
• Performance – What the grid must do to succeed.
• Principal Characteristics – What features and functions are essential to meeting performance requirements.
• Key Technology Areas – Which technologies support the desired characteristics.
• Metrics – How progress is measured and compared to the desired level of performance, to ensure that the key success factors are ultimately achieved.