San Diego Gas & Electric’s (SDG&E) Grid Communication System (SGCS) project includes the installation of a fully integrated wireless communication system covering up to 90% of the utility’s customers. The project aims to enhance reliability and reduce outage durations and operations and maintenance costs. The project implements two-way communications and applications to: (1) allow SDG&E to integrate new advanced metering infrastructure and distribution automation equipment, and (2) provide increased system visibility and identify the scope and location of outages.
- Distribution Automation Communications Network
- Synchrophasor Communications Network
- Improved Electric Service Reliability and Power Quality
- Reduced Costs from Equipment Failures and Distribution Line Losses
- Reduced Service Costs for Customers
- Reduced Operating and Maintenance Costs