The purpose of the Wide Area Monitoring and Control Systems - Emergency Operations function is to provide communications services permitting an operator to take the following actions in response to a fault in the power system:
- Locate the fault
- Verify that protection has operated correctly to clear the fault
- Shed load to ensure that the fault does not cause an overload of unaffected lines
- Manually re-route power to restore service to subscribers
- Dispatch crews and emergency teams to fix the fault
- Capture fault recordings so engineers can later analyze the cause of the fault
This function also addresses handling of environmental and security alarms.